Sunday, May 05, 2013

What doesn't kill us...

Posted by M

Do you ever find yourself questioning things that we do in society? Like, for what reason were certain norms and expectancies put into place? I think a lot of it has to do with a lack of wanting to see people behave as though we are characters from Lord of the Flies. (Sidebar: Poor Piggy. Is he not like the saddest character in literary history? I suppose the Mulberry faced boy is up there too.)

I also think a lot of our normal pleasanteries are designed to test our patience and to see how far we can be pushed before we CRACK!

I consider myself a decently patient person. But sometimes (more often if I'm low on caffeine) I find myself wanting to kick politeness to the curb (see M-Hulk post for what this might look like. SPOILER: It's not pretty).

Situation A: The local coffee joint

My husband and I frequent a Tim's which is attached to an Esso station near work. We love this Tim's because they make consistently good coffee and are quick. Recently, a new employee has been testing my will.

One morning, our order was concluded with a:

I'm SooOOOO sorry. Are two coffees  not enough for you good sir?

I could only gather that this type of blatant "you suck and are cheap" attitude caused his bosses to take him off of the speaker, as the next time he was at the cash register. His new way of testing us is to 'pretend' that the pay pass machine isn't working. (I say 'pretend' because I truly believe that a child could figure out how to work the pay pass machine...or would at least have more patience trying to).

*Two seconds later* "Nope, sorry, your pay pass doesn't work"
How about...I don't know...actually touching the card to the machine? Just a thought.


Situation B: The superstore

Let's be honest: superstores are created to test the will of human beings. Sure, you get wholesale foods at decent prices. You can get a giant jar of olives for the price of two small ones, woot woot! And hey, superstore gas stations are the cheapest in town! But why create a seemingly amazing store, only to add constant obstacles to the mix?

For example, the parking:


FYI: My car is not in this picture
I'm basically exhausted when I get to the store. The store is like a million square feet, so this is not good. Also, there is no sidewalk, and for a clutz like me that really doesn't bode very well.


There's also the shopping cart obstacle course:

Seriously, where ARE you people?! I just want my olives!
Look, we all know you are eating the free samples, but please, take your giant cart with you!

Situation C: The doctor's office

Last, but certainly not least, is the doctor's office. Any sort of medical establishment really. You kindly make an appointment so the doctor knows you're coming. You respectfully show up 15 minutes early as the receptionist requested. They lead you into a room and...

 
I wish I'd brought a book...
Am I going to be here for the rest of my life?!!

It's like they know when you've lost the will.

I don't know...I guess I'm saying that we need to question these things sometimes, or else people become real a-holes. Either that, or the motto "if you can't beat them, join 'em" will have to become my spice of life!

1 comment:

  1. Just realized I haven't seen your blog since that skeleton in the bunny suit. M, I so agree with you on all of it.

    From a Canadian living in the US, I will use an American expression here - when you quoted "if you can't beat them, join them", I say, "Go and kick butt!" And never, EVER apologize for it!

    Keep up the good work, love your posts.

    ReplyDelete