Monday, July 09, 2012

Posted by M

A few weeks ago, we received a visit from some wonderful relatives. Many great conversations were had and it was a great visit! One conversation in particular really stuck with me and made me giggle for some time. While discussing how annoying the garbage collection program is, one relative (coughHGMcough) told me about her adventures in trying to throw out her garbage can. I mean, how DO you throw away a garbage can anyway?? It still makes me laugh.

So I was going to write a post reflecting on life's little mysteries, when I came across a webpage. A webpage devoted entirely to "How to Throw Away a Garbage Can". Seriously, is there anything eHow won't write about? They're amazing.

Anywho, this page made me laugh harder, to the point that I just had to devote an entire post to it. Seriously, they actually say that you have to make several attempts to discard your garbage can because it probably won't work the first few times... or at all. It's hilarious. Anyway, I've compliled a list of my own, using their advice and adding a little pizzazz.

So without further ado, I present: How to get rid of that old, stinky garbage can without losing your mind...at least you'll tell your family and friends that you haven't lost your mind...they won't believe you, but it will make you feel better inside.

The Culprit:
Oh garbage can, you don't have a clue how much trouble you are...

Attempt 1:  Keep it simple. Try some signage on the can to give those garbage collectors a clue. Hide behind a tree to watch the results.

Ok, so it was my suggestion to hide behind a tree, but clearly you want to see the results of your hard work.

It seems pretty clear to me that this is going to be a failure. The site does seem to suggest getting a little more severe with your signage (i.e. What do you NOT understand about this being GARBAGE?!!), but honestly, who has more than one free day to hide behind a tree. Or enough poster board.

Attempt 2: Disguise the garbage can. (I couldn't make this up)
Flattery will surely work!
Or trickery! Brilliant.

Attempt 3: Reverse psychology. I also need to add in a quote from the webpage, as I think it really sums up Attempt 3: "Remember, this is one of life's conundrums. It may take your entire arsenal of solutions before you actually throw away the garbage can."  Good. Grief.
Don't you even THINK about laying a FINGER on my garbage can!

Attempt 4: If the going gets tough, give up altogether and decide to turn your can into some art for your house. Yep, really.
Is this an artistic version of a white flag? Oh, I think so.
Happy garbage disposing! I'm off to explore what else I can learn on the world wide web :).

No comments:

Post a Comment