Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Radio is Driving me Bananas.

My quest to win the "Hot 89.9 $10 000 Hot Hit" continues.

They played the winning song last Tuesday and I think I called about 70 times but I didn't get through :( 

It was kind of sad. I put the number on speed dial and sat outside continuously dialing, getting a busy signal, hanging up, and dialing again. There were a couple moments when I thought I got through and I'd get super excited, but then the line would disconnect and I'd be plunged back into despair! Okay, that was a little dramatic. More like "plunged back into annoyance".

Lather, rinse and repeat. 70 times.



Anywho, they rebooted it again, so I still have a chance!


Unfortunately the radio commercials are starting to get to me. They may be witty or funny the first few times, but when you've heard them 30 times the charm is pretty much gone.

Take this insurance commercial that plays on the radio:

"Jack and Jill. Romeo and Juliet. Napoleon and Josephine. Tarzan and Jane. Some things just work better together. The same goes for your car and home insurance."

I've probably heard this radio ad about 100 times in the last month. But it was only yesterday, while sitting on the bus, that I actually started to analyze what the ad was saying. And when I did, I realized something:



Jack and Jill: Fell down a hill, got concussed. Not good.








Romeo and Juliet: Committed suicide. Not good.





Napoleon and Josephine: 

#1, Napoleon basically returned France to a Monarchy and caused numerous deaths through his war with England (open to interpretation, I know), and #2 Napoleon tried to ditch Josephine before he became Emperor, but she forced him to marry her in the presence of the Pope (who wouldn't crown Napoleon until he agreed to the marriage). That's romance for you.

Conclusion: Not good.









Tarzan and Jane: Fictional characters.








So basically the worst use of 'examples to prove a point' ever. Perhaps I'm over-thinking this, but it seems to me to be a pretty epic fail.









p.s.- I realize 3 of the 4 couple examples are fictional characters. I just didn't want to play the "fictional" card more than once. I felt the need to mention it in case anyone was left with the impression I believe Jack and Jill are historical figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment